Top 10 Food & Wine Experiences
Fresh, innovative and delicious, New Zealand's flavoursome food and world-class wine are not to be missed.
Food and wine is an essential ingredient in a New Zealand experience-whether that’s fine dining or casual outdoor meals, tasting at the cellar door, mingling with local producers at farmers markets, or an authentic Maori hangi experience.
Innovative New Zealand chefs combine ingredients freshly harvested from garden, land and sea while Pacific influences, organics and indigenous foods make it unique. And, taste is paramount.
Farmers' Markets in New Zealand
The bustling, happy chaos of a farmers’ market is your chance to discover seasonal delicacies and meet the locals.
Bring a big shopping bag and arrive hungry. As well as fresh basics, you’ll find everything from handmade chocolates to farmhouse cheese.
Up and down New Zealand, farmers’ markets bring country people together. They have become focus points for rural communities; places to catch up with friends, share news and restock essential food supplies. For visiting travellers, a few hours spent at a farmers’ market is a way to get an authentic snapshot of Kiwi country life, not to mention a big basketful of fresh and handmade goodies. Live music often spices up the experience.
However, you don’t have to be in the country to find a farmers’ market. For some of New Zealand’s biggest markets, country people flock to the city with their fresh produce, artisan foods and big smiles.
Food and wine festivals
Fresh and vibrant, New Zealand celebrates its world-class food and wine culture with an exciting range of tasty festivals every year.
Autumn (March – May)
● Wairarapa Wines Harvest Festival - Wairarapa, 15 March 2014
● Hokitika Wild Foods Festival - West Coast, 8 March 2014
● Havelock Mussel Festival - Marlborough, March 2014 date TBC
● New Zealand Beer Festival - Auckland, 15 March 2014, from 12.30pm
● Marchfest - Nelson, April 2014, date TBC
● Bluff Oyster Festival - Bluff, May 2014, date TBC
Winter (June – August)
● Dunedin Cadbury Chocolate Carnival - Dunedin, 7-13 July 2013
● Visa Wellington on a Plate - Wellington, 9-25th August 2013
Spring (September – November)
● Whitianga Scallop Festival - The Coromandel, September 2013
● New Zealand Olive Festival - Hawke's Bay, September 2013
● F.A.W.C! Summer Series - Hawke's Bay, November 2013
● Toast Martinborough - Wairarapa, November 2013
● Taste of Auckland - Auckland, November 2013
Summer (December – February)
● Kawhia Kai Festival - Hamilton & Waikato, early Feb 2014
● Fitzroy Mussel Fest - Great Barrier Island, early Feb 2014
● Marlborough Food and Wine Festival - Marlborough, mid Feb 2014
● Devonport Food, Wine and Music Festival - Auckland, mid Feb 2014