1. My heart stopped.It just stopped beating. And for the first time in my life, I had that feeling.You know, like the world is moving all around you, all beneath you, all inside you, and you're floating, floatingin midair. And the only thing keeping you from drifting away is the otherperson's eyes. They're connected to yours by some invisible physical force, andthey hold you fast while the rest of the world swirls and twirls and fallscompletely away.
2. "A painting is more than the sum of its parts," he would tell me, and then go on to explain how the cow by itself is just a cow, and the meadow by itself is just grass and flowers, and the sun peeking through the trees is just a beam of light, but put them all together and you've got magic.
3. Sunsets were amazing. Some days they'd be purple and pink, some days they'd be a blazing orange, setting fire to clouds across the horizon.
4. One's character is set at an early age, son. The choices you made now will affect you for the rest of your life.
5. He just grinned and said, "Some of us get dipped in flat, some in stain, some in gloss." He turned to me. "But every once in a while you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare."
6. "To be held above the earth and brushed by the wind," she said, "its like your heart has been kissed by the beauty."
7. By the end of that first day, what I'd made was a big mess. But if chaos is a necessary step in the organization of one's universe, then I was well on my way.
8. It's easy to look back and see it, and it's easy to give the advice, but the sad fact is, most people don;t look beneath the surface until it's too late."