I Lay My Love On You
arrest damage recognize
regret straight used to
1. We are of the same mind, so let us ________________ quickly.
2. We ________________ eat out more often than we do now.
3. I asked him to join us, then________________ it.
4. I got ________________ for careless driving.
5. Barbara is easy to________________as she’s the only one of the women who wears evening dress.
6. Smoking can seriously ________________ your health.
________________ are far from London.
Pollution from cars ________________ a major problem.
His illness is ________________ than we thought.
I went up and found that the two taxis _________________.
1. Henry and Tom______ to the parties at the Trade Union every Saturday.
[A] used to go [B] were used to go
[C] are used to go [D] use to go
2. The girls______ a game called Bomb happily when the teacher suddenly entered the classroom.
[A] played [B] were playing
[C]are playing [D] had played
3. It is _______ a heavy stone _______ I can’t lift it up.
[A] so, that [B] such, that
[C]so, as to [D] enough, that
4. As she ______ the newspaper, Granny ______ asleep.
[A]read; was falling [B] was reading; fell
[C]was reading; falling [D] read; fell
1. He asked me if I________ (read) the story The Old Man and the Sea when he came in.
2. What________ he ________(research) all day last Sunday?
3. —It was really very kind of you to give me a lift home.
—Oh, don’t mention it. I ________(come) past your house anyway. (2007, 北京高考卷)
4. My brother _________ (fall ) while he was riding his bicycle and hurt himself .
5. —Where did you put the car keys?
—Oh, I________(remember) I put them on the chair because the phone rang as I _______ (come) in.
6. While he was waiting for the bus, he ________ (listen) to the radio.
A fourth-grade teacher was giving her pupils a lesson on logic. "Here is the situation," she said. "a man is standing up in a boat in the middle of a river, fishing. He loses his balance, falls in, and begins splashing and yellin g for help. His wife hears the commotion, knows that he can't swim, and runs down to the bank. Why do you think she ran to the bank?"
A girl raised her hand and asked, "to draw out all of his savings?"
Keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final.