1. Robert seemed to be _______ of deciding anything for himself.
A. incompetent B. ineffective C. unable D. incapable
2. The mere fact _______ American still attracts many people is evidence _______ it is not on the decline.
A. that; that B. that; which C. which; which D. which; that
3. What would a student do if he were _______ of his book?
A. deceived B. declined C. decorated D. deprived
4. What we need is a _______ government. We have had three presidents in only one and a half year.
A. changeless B. constant C. stationary D. stable
5. _______ Mary's previous refusal, the smell of the hot buttered bread was appealling
A. In spite B. Besides C. Except for D. Despite