2014.7.24【英译中】夜访吸血鬼Part Ⅰ---(8)40句

Daisy夭药 (番茄) 路人甲
46 4 0
发表于:2014-07-24 16:18 [只看楼主] [划词开启]

"No," said the vampire, his face calm as it had been from the start.

“没有。”吸血鬼说,他脸色平静,一如刚开始那般。

 "I laughed at him. And he . . . he became incensed.

“我嘲笑了他。他……他很愤怒。

He insisted his command came from the Virgin herself.

他坚持是圣母玛利亚亲自下达给他的命令。

Who was I to disregard it?

我怎么能忽视这些?

 Who indeed?"

到底是谁错了?“

 he asked softly, as if he were thinking of this again.

他轻声问,仿佛再次陷入这个问题的思考之中。

 "Who indeed?

“到底是谁错了呢?

And the more he tried to convince me, the more I laughed.

他越是想要说服我,我就越是嘲笑他。

 It was nonsense, I told him, the product of an immature and even morbid mind.

我告诉他,这简直就是无稽之谈,就是一种幼稚甚至病态的思想产物。

 The oratory was a mistake, I said to him; I would have it torn down at once.

我告诉他那个教堂就是一个错误;我将要立刻拆除它。

 He would go to school in New Orleans and get such inane notions out of his head.

他将去新奥尔良上学,把那些愚蠢的想法从他的脑子里扔掉。

I don't remember all that I said.

我不记得我说的什么。

But I remember the feeling.

但是我记得(当时)那种感受。

 Behind all this contemptuous dismissal on my part was a smoldering anger and a disappointment.

在我所有轻蔑的无视背后,是燃烧的愤怒和失望。

 I was bitterly disappointed.

我彻底的失望了。

I didn't believe him at all."

我根本不再相信他了。“

"But that's understandable," said the boy quickly when the vampire paused, his expression of astonishment softening.

“但那是可以理解的。“当吸血鬼停下的时候,男孩迅速说道,他惊讶的表情有些软化。

"I mean, would anyone have believed him?"

“我的意思是,会有人相信他吗?“

"Is it so understandable?" The vampire looked at the boy.

“这是可以理解的吗?“吸血鬼看着男孩。

 "I think perhaps it was vicious egotism.

“我想这也许是我的自私心理在作怪。

Let me explain.

让我解释一下。

I loved my brother, as I told you, and at times I believed him to be a living saint.

我爱我的弟弟,正如我之前告诉你的那样,有时我相信他是一个活圣人。

I encouraged him in his prayer and meditations, as I said, and I was willing to give him up to the priesthood.

在他的祈祷和冥想方面,我一向鼓励他,就像我说的,我愿意放弃他,让他去就任神职。

And if someone had told me of a saint in Arles or Lourdes who saw visions, I would have believed it.

如果有人告诉过我在阿尔勒或卢尔德有圣人看见过异象,我会相信他说的这些的。

I was a Catholic; I believed in saints.

我是一个天主教徒;我相信圣人。

I lit tapers before their marble statues in churches; I knew their pictures, their symbols, their names.

我会在教堂他们的大理石塑像前点燃小蜡烛;我知道他们的长相,他们的标志,他们的姓名。

But I didn't, couldn't believe my brother.

但是我却没有,更无法相信我的弟弟。

Not only did I not believe he saw visions, I couldn't entertain the notion for a moment.

我不仅不相信他看见了异象,而且就连这种观点我根本一刻都无法拥有

 Now, why?

现在想想,为什么呢?

 Because he was my brother.

因为他是我的弟弟啊。

 Holy he might be, peculiar most definitely; but Francis of Assisi, no. Not my brother.

他也许是神圣的,也许是古怪的,但是不能是阿西西的圣弗朗西斯。

No brother of mine could be such. That is egotism. Do you see?"

我弟弟不能是那样的。那就是我的自私。你明白了吗?“

The boy thought about it before he answered and then he nodded and said that yes, he thought that he did.

男孩回答前先想了想,然后他点点头,说是的,他想他能明白。

"Perhaps he saw the visions," said the vampire.

“也许他真的看见了那些异象。“吸血鬼说道。

"Then you . . . you don't claim to know . . . now . . . whether he did not?"

“那你……你不知道……现在(也不知道)……他是否看见异象?“

"No, but I do know that he never wavered in his conviction for a second.

不知道,但我所知道的是他从未有一秒动摇过他的信念。

That I know now and knew then the night he left my room crazed and grieved.

现在我知道了,他疯狂而又悲伤地离开我的房间的那晚我知道了。

 He never wavered for an instant.

他从未动摇。

And within minutes, he was dead."

然后几分钟不到,他就死了。“

"How?" the boy asked.

“怎么死的?“男孩问道。

上一节        目录        下一节

最后编辑于:2014-08-04 18:48
分类: 英语
全部回复 (4)

  • 0

    点赞

  • 收藏

  • 扫一扫分享朋友圈

    二维码

  • 分享

课程推荐

需要先加入社团哦

编辑标签

最多可添加10个标签,不同标签用英文逗号分开

保存

编辑官方标签

最多可添加10个官方标签,不同标签用英文逗号分开

保存
知道了

复制到我的社团